Barcelona players face having to take yet another wage cut having already agreed to a 70 per cent reduction in March.
Quique Setien’s men agreed to a substantial cut in their wages in order to help the club navigate the coronavirus crisis, while also taking other financial cuts in order to help non-playing staff receive pay at the Nou Camp.
However, according to Dario AS, President Josep Bartomeu has asked Lionel Messi and his team-mates to take a further round of cuts.
Bartomeu visited the training facilities on May 23, where it is reported he told players that further savings needed to be made, to the tune of £9million.
The players were reported to have rejected the fresh demand from the club hierarchy despite earlier voluntarily giving up a combined £12.5m (€14m) in wages between them.
Tensions within the club are fraught due to the actions of the Barcelona board.
Players were under the impression that their wage cut would be used towards guarding the jobs of non-playing staff.
However, Barcelona announced that it would not be covering their costs, instead deciding to furlough employees using Spain’s ERTE scheme.
This was decided before any decision had been made by LaLiga as to whether the season would be played to a conclusion or not.
It also came after a declaration from Bartomeu that the club were on track to break the €1billion barrier in revenue this year.
“Before February we were operating at an even better rate than we had predicted,” he said. “It was the highest rate in our history.”
The Spanish season is set to resume on June 11 after the government gave it the green light to continue.
Barcelona are currently top of the table, two points ahead of Real Madrid.