Charles Onyekamuo in Awka
Anambra State Government on Wednesday said that the federal government owed the state a total of N43.7 billion being money expended on the reconstruction of dilapidated federal roads in the state.
The state Commissioner for Information, Communication and Strategy, Mr. Tony Nnaecheta, who made the disclosure after the state’s exco meeting refuted an online report that the Minister of Works, Power and Housing, Mr. Babatunde Fashola, who visited the state last week was quoted as saying that the Federal Government was not aware of the construction of three fly-overs on the Awka end of the Onitsha-Enugu expressway and as such would not reimburse the state.
Rather, he said that the minister was in the state to discuss continuation of work on the second bridge on the Niger River at Onitsha and the completion of the abandoned late Nnamdi Azikiwe’s mausoleum also in Onitsha.
He said the minister never talked about the three fly-overs.
According to the commissioner, Fashola was also shown the failed portion of the Onitsah-Enugu expressway at Umunya in Oyi Local Government Area which he acknowledged was disastrous and would make case in favour of the road.
MORE TO FOLLOW