Renew Bloody Clash in Osun Communities, as 2 Confirmed Dead, Others Injured

Renew Bloody Clash in Osun Communities, as 2 Confirmed Dead, Others Injured

Yinka Kolawole in Osogbo

Hostilities resumed between Ifon and Ilobu towns as the bloody clashes that has left many dead and property destroyed rearing its ugly head with residents of the two communities fleeing for their safety.

THISDAY yesterday learnt that Ilobu and Ifon indigenes have over the years resorted to bloody clashes over unresolved boundary issues.

At least, two persons have been confirmed killed in the bloody clash, which reportedly occurred last Monday in Erin-Osun, the boundary between Osun and Oyo States over land.

THISDAY further gathered that two villages were completely razed down by the warring youths yesterday night.

The state government in October last year imposed a 24-hour curfew on the communities after the clashes led to loss of lives and destruction of property.

However, the curfew was lifted last December after the return of relative peace to the areas.

According to some security sources, which spoke on the condition of anonymity, some people from the two communities clashed in villages on the border of Osun and Oyo States before the fight spread to the towns.

The Otun Jagun of Ilobu, Chief Leke Ogunsola, while speaking on the latest incident, told journalists that hoodlums from Ifon attacked Ilobu farmers in Ologele and Aganna villages, shot dead a farmer, while others were injured.

But the Secretary of Ifon Progressive Union Board of Trustees (BoT), Prince Jide Akinyooye, alleged that hoodlums from Ilobu attacked indigenes of the town and injured many of them.

A resident of Ilobu, identified simply as Oladotun, who fled the town to take refuge in Osogbo, said: “I had to leave with my family. We are currently in a church in Osogbo where we will pass the night. Most people around my house in Ilobu have fled their homes for fear of attack. The fight started in villages at the Osun State boundary with Oyo State.

“A village called Wale was razed down. There were also clashes around Idiroko, and Iranin villages. We learnt two persons were killed too. But many people fled their homes in both Ilobu and Ifon to avoid being caught in crossfire.”

Meanwhile, the Osun State Police Command said it has arrested two suspects in connection with the unfortunate communal clash between the two communities.

The state Police Public Relations Officer, Yemisi Opalola, in a statement confirmed that two persons lost their lives to the incident, adding that personnel had been deployed to the area to prevent escalation.

The Police Command, while calling for calm over the incident which led to the disruption of peace in the affected community on January 29, noted that it has deployed proactive measures to restore peace to the community and forestall any further breakdown of law and order.

“Unfortunately, two persons lost their lives to the incident and their corpses have been deposited in the mortuary at the UNIOSUN Teaching Hospital.

“Meanwhile one Mojeed Oyewumi Alani and other person who were arrested with weapons and charms by police operatives for their role in the communal clash and have been transferred to the State Criminal Investigation Department for discreet investigation.

“The Commissioner of Police, Bzigu Dali Kwazhi, while commiserating with victims of the unfortunate incident, appealed to the members of the public, especially the people living in the warring communities, to remain calm as discreet investigation has commenced.”

Speaking in a similar vein, the spokesperson for the Osun State Command of the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps, Kehinde Adeleke, said the Command had deployed its armed squad to the area to end bloody clashes.

Meanwhile, the state Governor, Ademola Adeleke, has vowed to punish those behind the resurgence of violence in Ifon/Ilobu areas of the state.

The state governor, while talking tough in a statement issued by his spokesperson, Olawale Rasheed, threatened to order the arrest of those sponsoring the crisis.

The governor noted that intelligence revealed that some prominent leaders of the two communities were culpable in the bloodletting.

According to Rasheed, “In a virtual security meeting which continues as at the time of issuing this report, Governor Adeleke said those who ignited the attacks again will be rounded up and arraigned for breaching peace in the area.

“I hosted a virtual security meeting last night. A physical meeting is now ongoing. We will not spare sponsors of this dastardly act.

“Any traditional ruler found to be fanning embers of violence will be removed from office. Requisite intelligence is being gathered on the extent of culpability of prominent leaders from the two areas.

“Since yesterday, I have issued relevant directives which are being implemented to calm the situation. All through the night, security teams have commenced de-escalation operations.

“We have dispatched security teams and further measures will soon be announced.”

Related Articles