The Minister of Aviation, Mr. Festus Keyamo (SAN), has set up a task force for the relocation of airlines from the old international terminal of the Murtala Muhammed International Airport (MMIA), Lagos to the new terminal that was opened for operations last year.
A statement signed by the Head of Press and Public Affairs, Ministry of Aviation and Aerospace Development, Oluseyi Odutayo, said the minister was concerned about the problems of relocating the international airlines to the new terminal which was necessitated by the recent fire outbreak at the old international terminal in Lagos, adding that the minister set up the task force to resolve these challenges.
The members of the task force are Hassan Musa, a retired Permanent secretary and ex-Director of Department of Air Transport Management (Team Leader); Adebayo Oladipo, General Manager, Aerodrome, NCAA; Mr. Collins Mukoro (Special Adviser to the Minister of Aviation and Aerospace Development), Mrs. Uyoyou Edhekpo (Special Adviser to the Minister of Aviation and Aerospace Development) and Mr. Henry Agbebire (Special Adviser to the Minister of Aviation and Aerospace Development).
The statement noted that during the minister’s inspection of the Lagos Airport on August 31, 2023, he gave a deadline of October 1, 2023, for the relocation.
“However, the management of the Federal Airports Authority of Nigeria (FAAN) had to fast-track the implementation of this directive in response to the recent fire outbreak, which raised safety concerns and affected passengers’ movements.
“We urge all passengers and other stakeholders to be patient and bear with us as the inconvenience caused will soon be resolved. Your understanding plays a vital role in making this transition smoother for everyone involved,” the statement said.
It identified the primary objectives of the task force to include the resolution of passengers’ concerns, adding that the task force will work diligently towards resolving all concerns raised by passengers regarding congestion, discomfort, and related issues stemming from terminal relocation.
“We are committed to ensuring that every passenger’s voice is heard and addressed promptly,” the statement said.
The second objective of the task force, the statement said, is to minimise the discomfort of passengers and other airport users, adding that the focus is to dwell on minimising any form of discomfort during this transition period.
“Efforts will be made in streamlining processes at both terminals while closely monitoring operations 24/7. Measures such as enhanced signage, dedicated support staff, and improved communication channels will be implemented proactively,” the statement said.
The third objective of the task force is to ensure effective public communication.
“We pledge transparency throughout this process by providing regular updates on progress made in addressing concerns arising from airline relocations. FAAN aims at improving public relations strategies through various channels including online platforms and customer service helplines so that you stay informed about developments firsthand,” the statement said.
The minister also expressed regrets over the inconvenience the relocation has caused and assured all travellers that “we are fully committed to resolving these concerns promptly. We pledge our commitment to passenger comfort, safety, and overall satisfaction during this transitional period.”