Fayemi Orders Revocation of Market Stalls

0
Kayode Fayemi

Victor Ogunje in Ado Ekiti

Following the inspection of facilities at the Ultra modern Oja Oba Market, Ado-Ekiti by Ekiti State Governor, Dr. Kayode Fayemi earlier this week, the governor has ordered revocation of allotted market stalls to prospective buyers.

The market, which is almost 80 per cent completed was constructed by the administration of former Governor Ayodele Fayose.

Before his exit on October 16, 2018, Fayose had in September allocated the market to buyers through balloting, which did not go down well with the incoming governor.

A statement in Ado Ekiti by Special Adviser on Media to the governor, Yinka Oyebode, noted that structural evaluation of the complex shows that some considerable construction work would be required to fix the inherent structural defects which have made the building unsafe for use.

Fayemi thereby ordered that the supervising ministries; Ministries of Commerce, and Works, should refund the money to prospective buyers pending the time the market will be completed.

The governor said it was not ideal to allocate the market to users when the project was yet to be completed.

The statement said: “As this process would take some time, the governor has therefore directed that the process of allocation of shops be stopped immediately.

“The Ministries of Works and Commerce are to work out a seamless process for the refund,” he said

But Fayose, who reacted through his Media Aide, Lere Olayinka , said the governor should be ready to face the consequences of refund if truly he was prepared to carry out the action.

Fayose said developers do allocate houses to buyers before commencement of building let alone a project that was near completion. “The penalty for revocation is payment of annual rental value for 50 years plus refund of coast of purchase.

“Fayemi should go ahead and revoke the allocation. It would only make the buyers richer,” Fayose said.