Michael Olugbode in Maiduguri
The United Nations (UN) Nigeria Office and the United States have condemned the suicide attack on Damboa, Borno State, which left 32 persons dead and 84 others injured.
The UN, in a statement issued last Monday, said: “The Humanitarian Coordinator in Nigeria, Myrta Kaulard, condemned the twin suicide attacks on June 16 in the town of Damboa, that have left dozens of people dead and scores injured in one of the deadliest attacks the town has witnessed.”
Kaulard, in the statement was quoted as saying: “Our deepest condolences go to the families of the victims in Damboa and to the Government and people of Nigeria. We wish the injured a speedy recovery.”.“Civilians consistently bear the brunt of the conflict and over 200 women, children and men have now been killed in indiscriminate attacks in the North-east since the beginning of the year, including in the town of Mubi last month in Adamawa State. I urge the government of Nigeria to further step up protection of people.”
The statement revealed that the United Nations and the International Committee of the Red Cross last Sunday air-lifted by helicopter 11 of the critically wounded from Damboa to Maiduguri to facilitate emergency medical treatment in support of the state authorities.
According to the statement, humanitarian access outside of Damboa town in the rest of Damboa Local Government Area remains limited due to ongoing hostilities and lack of safety assurances.
The United States has also condemned in the strongest terms, the terrorist attack on Damboa.
In a statement by the spokesperson of the Department of State, Heather Nauert, the United States stated that it stands firm with Nigeria in its fight against terrorism.
The statement said the violent attack, aimed at civilians celebrating with their families and communities during the Eid al-Fitr holiday marking the end of the Muslim holy month of Ramadan , was a reminder of the depravity of those who commit such attacks against innocent people.
The US expressed condolences to the families and friends of the victims who were injured and killed, and mourned all those who were lost.
“The US condemns in the strongest possible terms the terrorist attack last Saturday night in Damboa, Nigeria. This violent attack – aimed at civilians celebrating with their families and communities during the Eid al-Fitr holiday marking the end of the Muslim holy month of Ramadan – is a reminder of the depravity of those who commit such attacks against innocent people. The US stands firm with Nigeria in its fight against terrorism.We extend our deepest condolences to the families and friends of the victims who were injured and killed, and mourn all those who were lost,” the statement explained.