- Loses 15 in Abadam, Borno State gunfight
- UK laud military counter-terrorism exploits
Senator Iroegbu in Abuja
Boko Haram terrorists have attacked Nigerian troops of Operation Lafiya Dole Task Force Battle Group and Multinational Joint Task Force (MNJTF), killing two soldiers at Abadam in northern part of Borno State.
During the fierce battle, the military killed about 15 terrorists.
This is coming as the government of the United Kingdom (UK), commended the Nigerian Armed Forces for their exploits in internal security, counter-terrorism and counter-insurgency operations in the country.
The Director of Army Public Relations (DAPR), in a statement on Friday, said that the troops and MNJTF presently harbouring in Abadam village dealt decisively with elements of Boko Haram that attempted to attack their location.
Usman said that the attack, which was launched by the terrorist group at about 6:30 am on Thursday lasted for about two hours.
“During the fierce battle, the troops killed 15 of the insurgents, with many escaping with gunshot wounds,” he stated.
Sadly however, he confirmed that “two soldiers paid the supreme price in action while four others were wounded in action.
The DAPR said that the bodies of their late colleagues and the wounded have since been evacuated.
“The gallant troops recovered weapons and ammunitions from the insurgents These includes. Gun truck, one 60mm Mortar tube, seven 60mm Mortar bomb, a General Purpose Machine (GPMG), three damaged AK 47 Rifle, four Bandoliers of Anti-Aircraft rounds of ammunition.
Usman said the troops have continued mop up and clearance operations of the remnants of the terrorists.
He stated that they have also intensified vigilance and high level of alertness.
In a related development, the UK has expressed satisfaction with the successes recorded so far by the Armed Forces of Nigeria in the tackling of Boko Haram insurgency in the North East and promised to collaborate with Nigeria for further success.
The British Assistant Chief of Defence Staff, Rear Admiral Simon James Ancona made this expression when he led a delegation of the UK Ministry of Defence and Engagement on a courtesy visit to the Nigeria Chief of Defence Staff (CDS), General Gabriel Olonisakin.
Ancona, in a statement by the Nigerian Director of Defence Information (DDI), Brig-Gen. Rabe Abubakar, reiterated that the way the Nigerian military subdued the Boko Haram terrorists has further put the Nigerian Armed Forces in particular and the nation in general on a positive radar of global assessment index.
He commended the military and allied security agencies for their doggedness and sacrifice that have led to the decimation of the murderous terrorists group and called for sustenance of the onslaught to wipe insurgency from our land.
The senior military officer pledged that the UK Armed Forces would continue to work closely with their counterpart in Nigeria towards strengthening the capacity of the Nigerian military to be more potent and responsive in the discharge of their constitutional mandate.
The UK team leader explained that the delegation was in Nigeria as a follow-up to variety of regional and global security matters discussed earlier in the year at a peace keeping conference held in the UK.