Illegal Diversion of Explosives: FG Exonerates, Recalls Mines Officers

0
  • As minister reads riot act to newly deployed officers

The Minister of Solid Minerals Development, Dr Kayode Fayemi, on Tuesday said that none of the Federal Mines Officers recalled last week has been found culpable of the reported illegal diversion of explosives which led to the arrest of some individuals.

Fayemi disclosed this during a meeting with the 37 newly deployed Federal Mines Officers in his office on Tuesday, even as he assured them that they would be adequately equipped for the assignment.

According to a statement made available to the media, “The search light of the Ministry, the law enforcement agencies and other accountability institutions will be beamed on you and you can rest a to have sabotaged the country in any form shall be summarily dealt with.”

The Minister said henceforth, recommendations on application for explosives from the North-East, North–Central, South-South and South-East zones should be addressed to his office.

“Henceforth all companies – mining and quarrying – operating in your various jurisdictions should always forward a copy of the monthly explosives and quarry returns to the corporate headquarters first week following the month for which return is made.

He stated: “An often neglected aspect of your job is the need to ensure that all monthly explosives returns and quarries returns submitted by the operators are checked and confirmed that such returns provide answers to the question contained therein.”

More details later