Preventing Infant Death Syndrome

0
132

Teacher’s Diary

Pregnancy is one of the most wonderful experiences a woman could have. It is a fulfilment of one of the most natural functions of a woman. The media was awash with the news of “Bernie Baby” in 2016. When Bernie Baby was born, his mum would have been over-joyed at being given a chance to enjoy the experience of nature-nurturing that all mothers are called to. Little did she know that her joy would be short-lived.

Oliver Jack Carter Lomas-Davis of Los Angeles died last year, to be precise on February 25, 2016. If you recall, it was at four months old at the time to cot death. His mum had posted photographs of him on Facebook and Twitter, greeting United States presidential candidate Bernie Sanders during the ferocious campaign in a look-alike role-play. The cute baby wore white-haired wig, over-sized glasses and a plaid-tie. Unfortunately, this cherub-like child died of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS). What Oliver would have been and contributed to this world died that day.

According to Wikipedia, yearly, cot death could still be claiming up to 15,000 children globally (2013 data count). Young mums and nursery workers and owners need beware. In particular, one important thing to consider before the arrival of a baby, is the kind of baby beddings he or she would use. The number one rule to follow, in choosing the right baby bedding for your precious child, is safety. The perfect baby mattress must be firm and your baby’s bed clutter-free. Duvets, wedges, pillows, bedding rolls, quilts and baby nests could be dangerous features in your baby’s sleeping space.

Sudden Infant Death Syndrome or SIDS could be linked with soft baby beddings. This could happen when the baby’s mattress is so soft that his nose and mouth gets covered, and the air he exhales is the same air he breathes. This is dangerous for baby since he would be breathing in carbon dioxide rather than oxygen. The consequence of this could be drowsiness, coma or even death. Other environmental factors could contribute to cot death. Nursery owners and mum need indeed beware.

Teachers should endeavour to spread these pieces of information among their pupils and students alike.

Omoru writes from the UK