ACF Condemns Attack on Zulum’s Convoy

1

By John Shiklam in Kaduna

The Arewa Consultative Forum (ACF) has condemned the attack on the convoy of Governor Babagana Zulum of Borno state by Boko Haram terrorists, warning on the grave consequences on the country, if anything untoward happens to the governor.
In a statement on Saturday in Kaduna, spokesman of the ACF, Mr. Emmanuel Yawe, said the latest attack was the second attempt on the governor’s life.
The forum said it was alarmed that despite the federal government’s assurances of an improved security situation on the Boko Haram front, the deadly attacks and killings have continued unabated.
“Today we received the disturbing news that the convoy of Governor Babagana Zulum of Borno state on its way to Baga was attacked yesterday by Boko Haram terrorists.
“We are alarmed that for all the assurances we had received from the military and the federal government of an improved security situation on the Boko Haram front, the deadly attacks and killings have continued regardless,” Yawe said.
He noted that eight policemen, three soldiers and four civilian JTF were reported to have lost their lives in the attack.
According to him, only last week, a serving senior military officer Col, Bako was ambushed and killed around Demboa in same Borno State.
The statement recalled that “Earlier in July, Governor Zulum had come under the gun fire of the same terrorist while on official tour.
“What these attacks have done is to undermine public confidence in the ability of the military to successfully defend Nigeria in the on going war against terror”.
The statement called on the military to act swiftly to restore the confidence of Nigerians in the war against insurgents.
The statement said: “The ACF is also aware of the sagging morale of our fighting men. The federal government and the military high command must act quickly and resolve all the issues that have led to the current low morale.
“The ACF notes that Governor Zulum whom the terrorists have currently targeted for elimination is one governor who raises hope in a demoralised country.
“If anything untoward happens to him, the consequences for the rest of the country will be grave.
“It is instructive to note that the attack on the governor’s convoy happened while he was trying to move some IDPs back to their permanent homes from camps.
“These attack have therefore raised questions on the ability of the military to ensure the safety of internally displaced persons to return to their homes.
“Finally, both the military and the federal government have a lot of questions to answer on what is going on in this endless war against insurgency”.