Christian, Muslim Clash Claims One Life in Adamawa University


• School shutdown
Daji Sani in Yola
The management  of Modibbo Adama University of Technology Yola (MAUTECH), Adamawa State, has shut down the institution following two days of unrest between Muslim and Christian students which resulted in the death of a 200-level student studying Urban and Regional Planning, while two lectures halls were also burnt down.

The Dean of Students Affairs of the university, Dr. Lawal Haruna, announced the closure of the institution to journalists on Monday on the campus.
According to him, “We are directing the closure of the institution indefinitely with immediate effect pending investigation into the students’ riot on campus.”

Harana said the closure of the university was as a result of students unrest that occurred last Sunday night.

He, however, urged  every student to leave the campus latest by 2p.m. on Monday.
The Dean stated that the violent demonstration erupted in the institution when a Christian student name withheld, posted a blasphemous text on his Whatsapp domain castigating the Holy Prophet Mohammed which sparked demonstrations by Muslim students.

He pointed out that two lecture theatres used by Christian students for fellowship were burnt even as two mosques on the campus were equally razed down.

“A student posted a blasphemous statement about Prophet Mohammed on his Whatsapp group which sparked the demonstration.
“The student was traced through his posting, and this has sparked the riot.
“Three students who reside off the campus sustained injuries as a result of the fight which ensued between the two groups.
“We had a successful Student Union Government election. Even if there was misunderstanding at that time, I don’t believe the election has direct bearing with the incidence of yesterday,” the Dean who spoke on behalf of the Vice Chancellor, Professor Kyari Mohammed, said.

He added: “Unfortunately, some students  in the night (Sunday) took the fight outside the campus and three sustained injuries and one died at the hospital this morning at the Federal Medical Centre, Yola.”