Following the news that notorious kidnapper, Chukwudumeje Onwuamadike, alias Evans had filed a lawsuit at a Federal High Court in Lagos to compel the police to either charge him to court release him from custody, the police authorities wednesday said his continued detention was within the ambits of the law.
Evans had sued the Inspector General of Police, Ibrahim Idris and three others over alleged illegal detention at the Federal High Court in Lagos.
Joined as respondents in the suit are the Nigeria Police Force, Lagos State Commissioner of Police, Fatai Owoseni and the Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS).
According to the suspect’s lawyer, Olukoya Ogungbeje, his fundamental human rights suit was to pray the court to direct the respondents to immediately charge him to court.
He also asked the court for an order compelling the respondents to release him unconditionally in the absence of any offence that will warrant his being charged to court.
Reacting to the incident, the officer-in-charge of the Inspector General of Police Intelligence Response Team (IRT), ACP Abba Kyari, said the continued detention of Evans and gang was in line with the law.
He said, “Evans’ gang members who wanted him to go to court before police will finish investigations that have been leading to their exposure and arrests, hired a lawyer who sued the Lagos State Commisioner of Police and Officer-in-Charge of SARS.
“They are insisting that Evans should be charged to court. Unknown to them, the Federal High Court last week Thursday gave order for Evans and his gang members to be remanded in police custody for three months.
“This is to enable the police conclude all Investigations in Nigeria, Ghana and South Africa, so that all involved will be brought to book.”