Presidency Reassures Nigerians, Foreigners of Villa’s Safety after Accidental Discharge

0

Tobi Soniyi in Abuja
The presidency has assured Nigerians and foreigners that the State House, Aso Rock Villa, is safe.
The assurance followed an incident which occurred on Wednesday when a weapon accidentally went off while the a security official was trying to submit his weapon at the reception.

In a statement issued yesterday by the Senior Special Assistant to the President on Media and Publicity, Mr. Garba Shehu, said the incident had been investigated.

He said an investigation conducted by the presidency revealed that the operative conducted the normal safety precaution as professionally required when the pistol accidentally fired.

The statement read: ”According to the reports received so far, the security official involved in this incident is not attached to the State House. Rather, he came on invitation as a witness in an ongoing investigation and was required, as is the rule, to surrender his weapon at the gates before entry.

“ The lady by his side, a caterer was hit by a pellet of the bullet. Both of them were attended to at the clinic and discharged.”