Tobi Soniyi in Abuja
President Muhammadu Buhari has condemned the killing of eight persons in Zamfara State for allegedly insulting Prophet Muhammed.
The president, in a tweet, said he “received news of the mob killings in Zamfara with great dismay”.
“I assure that the law will take its course. My prayers are with the families of the victims,” he said.
The president described the attack as “barbaric and unacceptable”.
Some students of Abdul Gusau Polytechnic on Monday descended on a man they accused of blaspheming Prophet Mohammed. They also set those who tried to shield him from their attack ablaze.
The attack occurred at Talata Mafara, a town in Zamfara.
In the past, the president had been accused of not speaking out when fundamentalists killed in the name of religion.
Apart from the information on the twitter handle, the president’s media team has not issued any statement condemning the attack in Zamfara.
However, the president had in a statement in the past said: “Under my watch we will work to ensure that there is no place for violence in the name of religion, ethnicity, or in any guise whatsoever.”