By Sylvester Idowu in Warri
Multi-national Oil and Gas Major, Chevron Nigeria Limited (CNL) has flagged off the construction of a multi-million naira Surgical Theatre and Consultation Rooms at Ekpan General Hospital in Uvwie Local Government Area, Delta State.
The project inauguration is coming after the company in 2015, commissioned a Women Development Centre it solely funded at N75 million in the community.
General Manager, Policy, Government and Public Affairs of Chevron, Mr. Deji Haastrup, explained that the Project was in-line with the company’s efforts to contribute towards government’s determination to raise the quality of healthcare delivery in Nigeria.
He disclosed that the project, which includes the provision of a 60KVA Sound Proof Generator, was preceded with series of Chevron’s investment in Corporate Social Responsibility to Ekpan Community in programmes such as deworming in selected schools and building of a fully equipped library with computers at Ekpan Primary School.
While thanking the Delta State Government and Ekpan Development Committee for their support in making the Ground Breaking of the project a reality, the CNL boss assured that the NNPC/Chevron Joint Venture will continue to extend the frontiers of partnership with the Delta State Government and Institutions in the State to support projects as well as programmes in its immediate environment to ensure improvement in the life of the people.
Delta State Commissioner for Health, Dr. Nicholas Azinge appealed to Ekpan Community Youths to avoid habits that would hamper the progress of work in the project and thanked Chevron “for acceding to the request of the Ekpan Development Committee (EDC) and the hospital management by granting approval for the amendment of the project specific agreement to favour the construction of a surgical theatre with consulting rooms.
LUNICEF can confirm that a UNICEF employee and an IOM contractor were injured in the attack and are being treated at a local hospital. All other UNICEF, IOM and UNFPA staff are safe,” part of the statement read.
The UN agency said that the convoy was in a remote area of North Eastern Nigeria, where protracted conflict has caused extreme suffering and has triggered a severe malnutrition crisis.
The world body said the incident “was not only an attack on humanitarian workers. It is an attack on the people who most need the assistance and aid that these workers were bringing”.
“The United Nations has temporarily suspended humanitarian assistance missions pending review of the security situation,” it stated.
Meanwhile, the Nigerian troops had in continuation with clearance operation of the remnants of Boko Haram terrorists hibernating in remote border towns and villages, cleared Kareto town since Monday.
Usman said that the troops were stabilising the immediate environment, while others were maintaining blocking positions at various areas.
In the same vein, he also confirmed that the troops of Operation Gama Aiki under the auspices of the Multinational Joint Task Force (MNJTF), had successfully cleared Dutchi and Damasak towns.
He said that in due course, the troops of both Operation Gama Aiki (MNJTF) and Operation Lafiya Dole would link up with each other to continue the clearance operations.
The Chief Military Public Information Officer, MNJTF, Col. Muhammad Dole, had earlier disclosed that the troops on Thursday, captured the boundary town of Damasak in northern Borno, which is one of the last frontiers of Boko Haram terrorists.
“In continuation with clearance operation of the towns and villages by MNJTF, the troops of the Sector 4 in Diffa (Niger) has successfully cleared Dutse Village, captured and occupied Damasak town today (Thursday) by 1000hrs,” he stated.
According to him, the troops fought their way into the town with close Air Support by combined Air Operation from MNJTF member states.