Presidency Replies BBOG, Seeks Group Support to Rescue Chibok Girls

0

Tobi Soniyi in Abuja

The presidency on Monday said that no fewer than 15,000 captives, mostly women and children have been rescued from Boko Haram terrorists from February to date.

In a statement issued by the Senior Special Assistant to the President on Media and Publicity, Mr Garba Shehu,‎ the presidency appealed to ‎members of the Bring Back Our Girls (BBOG) campaign group not to waver in their support for the government in the war against terrorism and in the ongoing effort to free all Nigerian citizens taken captive by the Boko Haram terrorist group.

The BringBackOurGirls group had in a recent statement claimed that President Muhammadu Buhari had “broken all promises” made to the group about rescuing the missing Chibok girls and that the government had been “lackadaisical” in the rescue mission.

Shehu said Buhari would never make bogus promises or play to the gallery.

According to him, it is misleading of anyone to preach that the Chibok girls are within an easy grasp.

“If the military under the President knew where they are held, they will bring the Chibok girls home today.‎”

The presidency further noted that ‎the past year of the administration had seen the Nigerian military step up bombardment of the Sambisa Forest, a stronghold of the Boko Haram terrorist group, leading to the capture of hundreds of insurgents.

Further details later