Fashola: Gencos Planning to Disrupt Power Supply to Nigerians

Babatunde Fashola
By Chineme Okafor in Abuja 
The Minister of Power, Works and Housing, Mr. Babatunde Fashola, on Monday said that power generation companies (Gencos) who recently filed a lawsuit against the federal government for alleged discriminatory practices against them in Nigeria’s electricity market were holding meetings at nights and planning on how to disrupt power generation in the country.
Speaking at the March 2018 edition of the monthly power sector operators’ meeting in Uyo, capital of Akwa Ibom State, Fashola stated that he had been getting security reports of the ‘clandestine meetings’ that the Gencos were holding to perfect their plans.
In a text of his speech at the meeting, which was sent to THISDAY in Abuja by his Senior Special Assistant on Communication, Mr. Hakeem Bello, Fashola noted that the plan to disrupt power generation in the country by the Gencos was politically motivated, adding that the government was not scared of meeting them in the law court.
The minister berated the Gencos for their actions and said that while they had gone to the law court to press home their demands, the government would in addition to meeting them in the court, rely on the public court of opinion to decide who is wrong or had erred.
The power Gencos comprising Transcorp, Mainstream Energy, North-South Power, and Egbin, had filed a court action against the government and some of its agencies, claiming that they are being treated unfairly by the government in their operations.
Details later…