Ajimobi’s Family Bars Oyo Deputy Gov, Others from Attending Fidau Prayer


By Kemi Olaitan

The wrangling between the family of the late former governor of Oyo State, Senator Abiola Ajimobi, and the state government over the handling of the burial of the two-term governor has refused to abate, as a delegation of the state government to the 8th day fidau prayer for the deceased was on Sunday turned back.

The delegation, which was led by the Deputy Governor, Mr. Raufu Olaniyan, including Messrs Abiodun Abdul-Raheem and Seun Ashamu, Commissioners for Land and Energy respectively, was turned back from entering the Yemoja Street,  Oluyole Estate, Ibadan residence of the Ajimobis.

Since the death of the former governor on June 25, accusations and counter-accusations had trailed the handling of his burial with his wife, Florence, openly accusing the state government of not asking after Ajimobi when he was on sick bed and when he eventually passed on.

THISDAY learnt that security details attached to the venue were said to have resisted efforts by the delegation to enter  as they almost engaged in open confrontation with the  security details attached to the deputy governor.

It was gathered that Olaniyan thereafter left after making frantic calls to people believed to be close to the family to register his displeasure on the treatment meted out to him and other members of the delegation.

Meanwhile, the family of the late governor of Oyo State, Ajimobi, has reacted to the perceived non-admittance of the state Deputy Governor, Olaniyan, and his delegation into the premises of the late governor for the eighth day fidau prayers.
In a statement by the later governor’s Special Adviser, Media, Bolaji Tunji, the family said: “The event was announced as strictly a family affair. However, some dignitaries arrived for the event prior to the commencement of the prayers and were permitted entry.
“There was a need to comply with the Covid-19 protocol as established by NCDC – social distancing, not more than 30 people in a place and seats arranged, accordingly.
“Once we reached capacity, the gate was locked.
“No one was aware that the deputy governor was coming as neither the advance team nor the protocol informed us.
“The deputy governor arrived after the prayers had started and once the protocol team was informed they proceeded to the gate.
“By the time we got to the gate to usher him into the sitting room, he had left. Everything happened within a few minutes.
“Through a serving senator and a former Attorney General we tried to get in touch with him that it was not to slight him and he could sit in a private sitting room provided by the family.
Unfortunately, he had left.
“We however apologise to his Excellency.”