Police Appeared Compromised During Osun Guber Rerun, NBA Alleges

The Nigerian Bar Association (NBA) has berated the Nigeria Police for the role its personnel played in the recent Osun State gubernatorial rerun, saying the police appeared compromised during the conduct of the September 27 supplementary governorship election in the state.

In the report by its ad-hoc committee on the rerun, which was published in NBA’s website, the association said the police refused to question the activities of “fierce-looking men who invaded the area at Orolu” where part of the supplementary took place.

The ad-hoc committee chaired by a Senior Advocate of Nigeria (SAN), Mr. Tawo Tawo stated in its report that the rerun “fell far short of a free and fair election compared to what transpired in the election of the September 22”.

The NBA, in its report, said the police by their actions and inactions, appeared compromised in the rerun election that took place in seven polling units across four local government areas.

The report added, “In conclusion, the rerun of the Osun State gubernatorial election fell far short of a free and fair election compared to what transpired in the election of the 22ndday of September, 2018 in Osun State which was however declared inconclusive.

” From the actions and inactions of the Nigerian Police Force they appeared to have been compromised given the fact that the Police did not question the activities of the about fifty (50) fierce-looking men who invaded the area at Orolu.”

The NBA said members of its observation team, monitored the election at Osogbo polling unit 17, ward 5, in Osogbo where the observed “massive armed security presence with movement around the polling unit restricted to voters and observers”.

The report noted that all the election materials were made available for the election and the electoral protocols for voting were fulfilled by the electoral officers at the unit.

It stated that accreditation and voting commenced at about 8:02 a.m and the voting process went on smoothly till about 11:30 am”when some hoodlums invaded the area in an attempt to disrupt the process”.

It added, “the situation was brought under control by the security personnel present.

“In spite of the seeming and subtle form of intimidation, voters were undaunted as they did cast their votes.”

“There was substantial compliance with the election process and procedure at the polling units.”

Related Articles