Tobi Soniyi in Abuja
The National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) on Wednesday in Abuja said it would soon publish names of electoral officials, security personnel and others who committed various electoral offences during the 2007 and 2011 general elections.
NHRC’s Executive Secretary, Professor Bem Angwe, disclosed this in Abuja while inaugurating a panel of inquiry to investigate allegations of genocide in Tarok community, Wase Local Government Area (LGA) of Plateau State.
He said the NHRC would also make public the report of its investigation of the last clash between some soldiers and members of the Islamic Movement in Nigeria (IMN).
Last year, the commission sent an interim report containing names of people indicted by electoral tribunals for election related offences to the Attorney General of the Federation (AGF).
NHRC had recommended the prosecution of those indicted to the AGF in the interim report with names of some prominent Nigerians. However, the office of the AGF has yet to act on the report.
Angwe said the commission had since compiled a final report on the issue of election offences and has identified culprits for prosecution.
“In the next two weeks, we are going to release the report of our investigation of the clash between men of the Nigerian Army and the Islamic Movement in Nigeria.
“We have also concluded works on our final report on those indicted for electoral offences by the election tribunals in relation to the 2007 and 2011 general elections.
“We will proceed to hand the list containing names of those so indicted to the Attorney General of the Federation for prosecution.
“We will also send the names of policemen indicted to the Inspector General of Police (IGP) and names of officials of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) for the necessary actions,” Angwe said.
Members of the Tarok community had petitioned the commission alleging attacks by some officials of the Nigerian Army on their community on May 2 last year.
MORE TO FOLLOW