By John Shiklam in Kaduna
The Kaduna State Government on Tuesday, selectively reviewed the 24 hour curfew imposed on Sunday in Kaduna metropolis following outbreak of violence.
A statement issued at the end the state security council meeting on Tuesday said, the curfew had been selective and varied following reports of security threats in some parts of the metropolis.
The statement signed by Samuel Aruwan, media aide to Governor Nasir el-Rufai, said following the review, the security council recommended that the 24 hour curfew in Kasuwan Magani and Kujama areas should be relaxed to begin from 6am to 5pm
However, the security council noted that in view of seeming security threats in places like Kabala West, Kabala Doki, Sabon-Tasha, Narayi and Maraban Rido, the 24 hour curfew should be sustained.
“The State Security Council determined that threats continue in Kabala West, Kabala Doki, Sabon-Tasha, Narayi and Maraban Rido within Kaduna Metropilis where attacks on places of worship were either attempted overnight or contemplated.
“Therefore, the Security Council has decided that the 24-hour curfew should remain in these places and will be vigorously enforced.
“Any individual that violates will be arrested and the security agencies directed to engage any hoodlums or unauthorised groups with appropriate force” the statement said.
It noted an improvement in security in the rest of the metropolis and decided that a window of freedom of movement between 1pm and 5pm on Tuesday was allowed for residents to be able to restock foodstuff and other essentials.
The statement added that the 24-hour curfew across the metropolis will be re-imposed from 5pm, Tuesday and until further notice.
The statement warned that security agents will patrol and protect the markets to ensure safety and deal with any attempts by hoodlums to engage in criminal conduct.
“The Security Council regrets the inconvenience to residents. But the obligation to secure lives and property necessitates an uncompromising approach. Government will continue to monitor the situation and make further announcements based on the guidance of the security agencies” the statement added.