Tony Nwulu Joins Imo Governorship Race

0

James Emejo in Abuja

A member of the House of Representatives representing Oshodi-Isolo II Federal Constituency on the platform of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Hon. Tony Nwulu, has accepted the clarion call from the Imo Renewal Youth Movement, a socio-political, non-partisan group, to contest the 2019 governorship election in order to salvage the state from the brink.

Speaking in Abuja short after accepting their call to service, he said he was”overwhelmed by the request”, pointing out that “nobody wants to be called up to fix things in bad times” nevertheless.

Nwulu said Imo State is currently highly indebted and in bad shape.
He said: “It’s a herculean task ahead. We’ve had successive leadership which was only interested in personal development rather than the development of the state. Imo is my state but I feel so sad about happenings there.”
The lawmaker, who is famous for sponsoring the ‘Not Too Young to Run Bill’, which had been passed by both chambers of the National Assembly and waiting the assent of President Muhammadu Buhari, also argued that Imo has no reason to depend of federal allocation to survive.

He said the state had over the years been managed by “caterpillars and cankerworms” that had defrauded the people and further relegated the youths to the background, “when we have enterprising young people.”
Nwulu, however, gave some conditions for accepting the clarion call to vie for governorship ticket, saying, “I don’t want to be addressed as His Excellency.”

He also said his administration will prune down the cost of running the government, noting that “True change comes at a cost.”
He added: “I will heed to your clarion call and wish to let you know the leadership will be decentralised.

“We’ve practised a chimpanzee politics for a long time which often plots to overthrow; too much politics and less leadership.”
He said about 70 per cent of his cabinet members will be youths while the remaining 30 per cent will be left for the older ones.
“I will ensure the power, which had been long taken away from the people is returned to the people. We’ll revive Imo state and make it the envy of others,” he said.

Earlier, the state Coordinator of the Movement, Mr. Chukwu Kelechi Kingsley said Nwulu enjoyed the support of youths across the 27 Local Government Areas of the state to become the next governor.
He said over 3,000 Imo youths took the decision at a conference to nominate the lawmaker who had distinguished himself in Lagos State political space.

He said: “The odds favour Tony Nwulu and Lagos must have seen something about him…It’s time to let our son come home to ensure we put things right in Imo State.”