Emirates Confirms Death of Nigerian Onboard Dubai-Lagos Flight


Chinedu Eze

Dubai-based carrier, Emirates Airways, has confirmed that a young Nigerian lady, Kofo Abaniwonda, died onboard its flight from Dubai to Lagos last Friday.
The spokesman of the airline said that the cabin crew onboard Flight EK 783 from Dubai to Lagos on December 15 found a passenger unconscious in her seat as the flight was preparing for descent.

“Our cabin crew consulted doctors on board the flight and on the ground via Emirates’ Medlink system.
“However the passenger was unresponsive. Upon arrival in Lagos, the medical authorities on the ground declared that the passenger had sadly passed away. Emirates expresses its condolences to the family,” the airline said.

According to reports, the deceased was buried the next day in Ikorodu, Lagos.
Sources at the airport indicated that the late Abaniwonda may have travelled to seek medical attention in South Africa but possibly suffered a heart attack on her way back to Nigeria via Dubai.
The deceased with Passport Number A07562816 was said to be unwell throughout the flight and lost consciousness before she finally gave up the ghost.

On arrival, the airline crew was said to have notified the medical team of the Federal Airports Authority of Nigeria (FAAN). The head of FAAN’s medical team, Dr. Akano, was said to have confirmed her death.
FAAN officials reportedly evacuated her body from the aircraft, loaded it in a FAAN ambulance and moved it to the General Hospital in Ikeja, from where it was taken and buried the following day.

There have been a series of similar deaths onboard flights departing or arriving Nigeria.
In August this year, a Nigerian, Mr. Sylvanus Amachukwu Godwin, slumped and died onboard an Ethiopian Airlines Flight 606 en route Addis Ababa to Guangzhou, China.

Also in February last year, a female passenger on an Arik Air flight from Port Harcourt to Lagos was confirmed dead on arrival at the Murtala Muhammed Airport Domestic Terminal 1, Ikeja, Lagos, by medical personnel.
Three years ago, the British Deputy High Commissioner to Nigeria, Ambassador Peter Carter Leslie, slumped and died on arrival at the Murtala Muhammed International Airport, Lagos.