Paul Obi in Abuja
The Nigerian Police thursday said the threat by Boko Haram to bomb Abuja, the nation’s capital, and other states was real, reinforcing the warning issued by the British and American governments at the weekend that the Islamic sect was planning to strike the Federal Capital Territory (FCT).
Accordingly, the police warned against any form of complacency among the security agencies, stating that it would remain vigilant as far as the threat was concerned.
FCT Police Commissioner, Sadiq Bello stated this during a stakeholders’ forum in Abuja, explaining that efforts were in top gear to prevent the attack.
“The threat to attack the city is real. However, we want to assure members of the public that we are working in collaboration with other sister security agencies to ensure that we all enjoy a peaceful Yuletide.
“We are doing a lot, but we don’t want to mention the strategy so that the men of the underworld don’t take advantage of it,” he said.
Bello assured the public that the police was doing a lot, especially with other security agencies, adding that they had already mapped out strategies.
“It may involve massive raids, massive visibility policing, vigorous stop-and-search operations and we would also embark on intelligence gathering.
“If anyone comes across persons of questionable character and suspicious movement, he or she should come to us quickly because we want to take all the necessary measures to prevent the actualisation of the threat,” the commissioner said.