NYSC: Corps Member, Ifedolapo Died Due to Untreated Urinary Tract Infection


• House to investigate death
Damilola Oyedele and Ogheneuvwede Ohwovoriole in Abuja
A National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) member, Miss. Ifedolapo Oladepo, who died recently at the orientation camp in Kano State, had kidney infection probably due to untreated urinary tract infection (UTI), a medical report presented yesterday by the Director-General of NYSC, Brig-General Suleiman Kazaure, has revealed.

The DG also said contrary to media reports that the deceased was left unattended to by the medical team of the NYSC, the doctors did everything to save her life before she finally gave up.

Brigadier-General Kazaure said on the strength of the wide publicity given to the allegation of negligence on the part of the NYSC, which did not tally with the preliminary reports from Kano State NYSC secretariat, he set up an independent investigation committee from the NYSC headquarters headed by the Director, Corps Welfare and Inspectorate, Mrs. Victoria B. Okakwu, on December 2, 2016.

‘’The committee has submitted its report and from its findings, we have a very clear picture of what happened.  The deceased corps member, who is a graduate of Transport Management from the Ladoke Akintola University of Technology, Ogbomosho, registered at the Orientation Camp on Friday, November 25, 2016’’, the NYSC boss added.

‘’On November 27 at 5p.m., the deceased first appeared at the camp clinic with complaints of headache and fever which she said she had been experiencing for two days.  On examination, the doctors on duty noticed rashes on her legs which she claimed started appearing as a result of her use of a second-hand shorts she bought without first washing it.

‘’The doctors at the camp clinic then treated her with arthemeter 160mg, piriton tablet and paracetamol for the fever and malaria and released  her to go back to the hostel.’’

The report added that at about 3a.m. on November 28, the deceased was brought back to the camp clinic by corps members who were her friends, with further complaints of vomiting and general body pains.

After further examination, the doctors on night duty were said to have noticed that the rashes on her legs had increased which the deceased still dismissed as reaction to usage of a second-hand shorts, and she was thereafter admitted at the camp clinic and treated with Drazamol injection and Piriton to soothe her body pains as she was already on malaria drugs.

The report added: ‘’At 8a.m on the November 28, 2016, Dr. Morowei Woyingo examined the deceased and inquired about any history of drug or food allergy which could have resulted in the rashes.  The deceased still insisted that it is a reaction from the use of second-hand clothes. The doctor thereafter administered hydrocortisone 200 mg for a start.

‘’The doctor proceeded to invite her other colleagues and they all converged by 9a.m to further examine the deceased.  They noticed that the fever and body pains had subsided but the rashes on her trunk and lower limb were still very obvious.

‘’They concluded that in view of the treatment she had already taken and the vital body signs which were normal, she should be placed on observation with iv fluid (normal saline); and that if the condition does not improve, the deceased will be taken to the hospital for a more authoritative investigation and treatment.’’

As the plans were being made to transfer her to a hospital, the deceased was said to have called her personal doctor at home on phone who then requested to speak with the doctors at the camp clinic.
Her home doctor was said to have further affirmed to the Chief Medical Director (CMD) at the camp clinic on the phone that the line of treatment given was good and the drugs administered were normal.

‘’It was at this point the deceased complained to the doctor that she had not urinated for some time. This was the note of alarm that hastened the deceased’s referral to Gwarzo General Hospital by 4p.m,’’ the report added.

The medical report further stated that since the potassium level was high, the deceased required immediate dialysis which was only available at the Aminu Kano Teaching Hospital in Kano, about 2 hours drive away, adding that  to survive the gruelling journey, the doctor decided to stabilize her by administering gluconate overnight.

Meanwhile, the House of Representatives has directed its Committees on Youth Development and Healthcare Services to investigate the circumstances that led to the death of Miss Oladepo.
The House also directed the NYSC to henceforth post experienced medical officials to man camp hospitals instead of leaving the corps members at the mercy of their contemporaries who studied medicine.

Hon. Olufemi Fakeye (Osun APC), in a motion, said Oladepo had taken ill, and reported to camp officials, who however thought she was feigning illness to be exempted from camp exercises.

“Because Rachael-Oladepo’s medical condition did not improve many hours after being admitted to the camp clinic, she was belatedly evacuated to another hospital where she reportedly died,” the lawmaker added.
In adopting the prayers of the motion, the lawmakers observed a minute silence for Oladepo, and resolved to send a delegation to condole with her family.

Similarly, the Deputy Speaker of the House, Hon. Yussuff Sulaimon Lasun, has expressed condolences to the Oladepo family of Ila Orangun in Osun State over the death of the young Oladepo.
In a statement, Lasun, who is also from Osun, described her death as very unfortunate and prayed for the repose of her soul.

He also expressed condolences to family of Mr. Ukeme Monday, who also died at the Zamfara camp of an undisclosed ailment.

“It is unfortunate that such a brilliant and promising young lady and a young boy who had struggled very hard to attain such enviable goal in life would just die at the prime of their age,” Lasun said.