Paul Obi in Abuja
The federal government and the World Health Organisation (WHO) on Monday confirmed another case of polio, bringing the total number of new cases to three after nearly two years of Nigeria not witnessing the outbreak of the Wild Polio Virus.
The third case of polio, according to officials, involved a crippled toddler found in an area newly liberated from Boko Haram insurgents.
THISDAY checks revealed that the case is from an IDP in Monguno, Borno State, where the Nigerian military recently took over after intense fighting with the Boko Haram sect.
It was also reported that the new case was confirmed after thorough laboratory test by the United States Centre for Disease Control international laboratory.
Confirming the case to THISDAY, Minister of Health, Prof. Isaac Adewole, said: “Yes, a third case in Monguno Ward in Monguno LG. A 2 yr old boy with no vaccination history.
“Monguno houses one of the largest IDP camps. Our current outbreak response will cover this. We shall have no cause to take any additional measure,” Adewole told THISDAY.
Health officials had earlier warned of more polio outbreak after two cases were discovered last month among refugees from areas recently won back by Nigeria’s military.