Okon Bassey in Uyo
Former Super Eagles Captain, Vincent Enyeama, may return to the team if the on-going discussion with the new coach of the team, Gernot Rohr is fruitful.
Rohr confirmed yesterday that he was in close touch with former Nigerian captain with a view to bring him back to the team.
Speaking at a press briefing in Uyo ahead of Nigeria’s clash with Tanzania in a 2017 Africa Cup of Nations qualifying game, Rohr admitted that he knew Enyeama during his earlier sojourn in Africa. The Franco-German coach also revealed that he has called Enyeama twice since taking over as Eagles gaffer.
Enyeama voluntarily retired from the Super Eagles last year although in controversial circumstance after a bust up with former gaffer Sunday Oliseh.
“I have personally called him and I think we will need him after this weekend’s match. I am working to have all our best players available for subsequent matches.” Rohr declared.
According to the Super Eagles coach, he is favourably disposed towards giving all Nigerian players the opportunity to showcase themselves and bring back football glory to the country.
Under his tenure as Eagles coach, Rohr said he would ensure good team ethics, organisation and discipline.
He expressed satisfaction with the performance of the local players at the last invitational tourney in Spain, stressing that he has already penciled down two of them for the Eagles.
The former Burkina Faso coach said although he has indicated interest to live in Nigeria that would not preclude him monitoring the performance of the country’s players within and outside this shores.
He said, “I am ready to live in Nigeria but they are yet to get a house for me yet.”
Rohr who could not guarantee Eagles’ qualification for Russia 2018 however said it was achievable with hardwork and commitment from all stakeholders.
The coach maintained that despite the tough group Eagles found themselves, “Nigeria has enough quality players to qualify from the group.”
On his part Eagles Captain, John Mikel Obi expressed sadness over Nigeria’s inability to qualify for the 2017 AFCON but called on all stakeholders to redouble their efforts to see Nigeria qualify for the next World Cup.
“All of us need to share in the blame of our non-qualification and not only the players. We have resolved to put that behind us and work towards getting our preparations right to be in Russia.” he stressed.