Authorities in Qatar have temporarily banned all arrivals from Egypt, except Qatari citizens, over fears of the spread of deadly Coronavirus.
The Government Communications Office, Qatar, in a statement sent to Al Jazeera, said: “As a public health measure, the State of Qatar has imposed a temporary entrance restriction to its territories on all those who are coming from Egypt through intermediate points. The measure is temporary due to the spread of COVID-19.”
Egypt’s health ministry reported its first confirmed case of the coronavirus on February 14, saying the infected person was a foreign national. On February 19, the World Health Organisation (WHO) said he had been discharged from the hospital.
No further reports of infection have been released from Egyptian authorities.
Egypt’s health ministry spokesman Khaled Megahed told Ahram Online on Sunday it “denies once again the detection of any diagnosed or suspected cases of the coronavirus across all governorates”.
Megahed’s comments came after news reports said two suspected coronavirus victims were transferred to a hospital in northern Egypt to be quarantined.