IG Orders Recovery of Two AK47 Rifles, Others Snatched from Slain Officer by IPOB

The Inspector General of Police (IG) Ibrahim Idris

 To arraign 33 arrested culprits for terrorism

 By David-Chyddy Eleke in Awka

The Inspector General of Police (IG), Mr, Ibrahim Idris, has directed the urgent recovery of two AK47 rifles and a Berretta piston allegedly snatched from a slain police officer and others by alleged members of the Indigenous People of  Biafra *(IPOB) in Nnewi during a protest last week.

The Force Public Relations Officer (PPRO)  Jimoh Moshood, made this known in Awka yesterday evening while parading 33 suspected members of IPOB the Anambra State command arrested.

Moshood said the IG had mandated that a through search to be carried out and the snatched weapons recovered, while fleeing members of the group be arrested and prosecuted.

The FPRO said: “On  November 23, 2018, there was intelligence report that  members of the proscribed IPOB,  an unlawful terrorist organisation were sighted gathering in their hundreds with dangerous weapons near teaching hospital, Owerri road, Nnewi, about to cause disturbance of public peace and public safety in the Nnewi and environs.

“Consequently, the police patrol team led by the Area Commander, Nnewi, ACP Nnanna Oji Ama, mobilised to the scene to prevent them from causing a breakdown of law and order.

“The police team, while proceeding to the scene came under ambush from the IPOB members, in the process, a police Inspector was killed, two other police officers were seriously injured and one police patrol vehicle was set ablaze, and the proscribed IPOB members snatched and carted away two AK47 rifles and one Beretta pistol with ammunition.”

The arrested suspects, who ages are  between 17 and 65 years hailing from states in the South-east and Delta State, were accused of engaging in terrorism, despite the proscription of the group last year.

Meanwhile, a loud protest erupted among the suspects when accusations of killing a police inspector and snatching of  arms was being read to journalists by Moshood.

The suspects said they were mostly traders in Nnewi market who had finished their business for the day and were about to close for the day, before they were arrested long after the protesting members of IPOB had left.

One of the suspects, Sunday Ilonze, said he and his apprentice were arrested in his shop, while trying to close for the day.

“I came back from a burial and didn’t even know what had happened during the day and was ordered by some gun wielding police officers to go into the vehicle, but I refused because I am a law abiding citizen, but they still brought me here,” he said.

Most of the suspects cried all through the parade, insisting they were innocent and should not be allowed to suffer for a crime they did not commit.

Moshood however promised that a thorough investigation would be launched into the matter, and those found guilty would be charged for terrorism.