Police Commence Investigation into Attack on EFCC Office


Paul Obi in Abuja

The Federal Capital Territory (FCT) Commissioner of Police, Mr. Musa Kimo, has said the police are yet to get any clue on the motive of some unknown gunmen who were said to have attacked one of the annexes of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), located in the Wuse Zone 7 area of Abuja in the early hours wednesday.

Kimo, who spoke with THISDAY wednesday, in Abuja, however said his men had commenced investigation into the matter in order to unravel the circumstances that led to the attack.

The CP promised that the investigation would be thorough in order to fish out the culprits involved in the attack and the death threat left behind for a senior investigator of the commission, Mr. Ishaku Sharu.

The unknown gunmen reportedly attacked the Wuse Zone 7 office of the anti-graft commission, which houses its AMCON Desk, Procurement Fraud and Foreign Exchange Malpractices Sections, and left a death threat for Sharu.

The EFCC Head of Media and Publicity, Mr. Wilson Uwujaren, in a statement yesterday explained that the attack was a major security breach recorded at the EFCC’s office.

“A group of heavily armed bandits invaded the office at about 05.00 hours and began shooting into the premises, damaging vehicles parked in the premises in the process. However, the attack was repelled by guards on duty,” the EFCC spokesman stated.

“The hoodlums escaped in a getaway vehicle but not without leaving a message; a white envelope dropped by the fleeing attackers was found to contain a death threat addressed to Ishaku Sharu, a senior investigator with the commission.”

Ishaku, who heads the section, is in charge of corruption investigations involving several politically-exposed persons and retired military officers.

The attack, Uwujiaren said, came a few weeks after another investigator, Austin Okwor, was shot and wounded by unknown assailants in Port Harcourt, the Rivers State capital.

He confirmed that the latest incident was reported to the police for investigation.