Rivers Utd Romps to 2-1 Victory over KCCA



Duro Ikhazuagbe with agency report
Rivers United on Tuesday grabbed a 2-1 victory over Kampala Capital City Authority (KCCA) in a 2017 CAF Confederation Cup Group A match at the Yakubu Gowon Stadium in Port Harcourt. The ‘Pride of Rivers’ is now within qualification for the quarter final of the second tier CAF competition.

The victory shot the last Nigerian team in continental campaign this term to third position on six points, same as group leader, FUS Rabat of Morocco. KCCA is fourth now on same six points. Goal difference separates them all. The table is expected to change with Club Africain’s clash with FUS Rabat late last night.

Rivers United got off to the best possible start as Bernard Ovoke scored from Sakin Bolaji’s corner-kick to make it 1-0 to the home side with KCCA defence exposed.
It was soon 2-0 to the home side and this time it was Frederick Obomate who scored with the impressive Ovoke grabbing an assist in the 15th minute.

Ovoke, who was looking lively for Rivers, nearly extended Rivers’ lead in the 21st minute, but the attacker headed over from an unmarked position.

The Rivers midfielder was then denied by KCCA goalkeeper Douglas Kisembo, who was well-positioned to make a save from Ovoke’s free-kick.
With the halftime break fast approaching, the visitors pushed forward in search of their first goal and they did manage to pull one back.

Geoffrey Serunkuma made it 2-1 for KCCA on the stroke of halftime after the Rivers defence failed to defend a free-kick. Rivers were leading 2-1 at the interval.
The home side started the second half brightly with Emeka Atuloma forcing Kisembo into a save from a free-kick just three minutes into the second half.

Then Kisembo went down injured and he was replaced by KCCA’s reserve shot-stopper Benjamin Ochan nine minutes before the hour-mark.
In the 64th minute, Ovoke dribbled past a few KCCA defenders, before unleashing a shot which missed the target as he looked to test Ochan.

Ivorian striker Guy Keumian was introduced in the 73rd minute by the Rivers technical team as they looked to restore the home side’s two-goal lead.
KCCA nearly grabbed a late equaliser, but Rivers keeper Abiodun Akande was alert as he denied Derrick Nsibambi in the 85th minute.

The visitors then suffered a major blow in the closing stages of the match as Habib Kavuma was sent off after receiving his second yellow card and ultimately Rivers ran out 2-1 winners.
Rivers: Akande, Nweke, Douhadji, Ovoke (Odah 78′), Olalekan, Zoumana, Obomate (Igbinoba 61′), Sakin, Odumegwu (Keumian 73′), Atuloma, Saka.
KCCA: Kisembo (Ochan 51′), Okot, Awany, Kavuma; Poloto (Kayizzy 68), Muzamiru, Masiko, Muleme; Okello (Ntege 58′) Serunkuma, Nsibambi.