Ogun Workers Call off Strike, Sign MoU with State Govt


Sheriff Balogun in Abeokuta

Workers in Ogun State who have been on strike in the last two weeks over deductions in their salaries by the state government, finally called off their industrial action off last night.
To that effect, the state government and leaders of organised labour signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to find a lasting solution to the industrial dispute.

The over eight hours meeting was brokered by the national leadership of labour comprising of Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) and Trade Union Congress (TUC).

Shortly after the meeting, National President of NLC, Ayuba Wabba and his TUC counterpart, Boboi Kaigama, told journalists that the meeting was all inclusive.

Ayuba therefore disclosed that a tripartite agreement was signed and commitment was given with a view to finally settling the dispute.

Reading the eight-point MoU jointly signed by the Head of Service, Sola Adeyemi, the Permanent Secretary, Bureau of Establishment and Training, Mrs. T.O Dosunmu, labour leaders in the state and observed by Waba, Kaigama, Kiri Mohammed, Khaleel Ibrahim and Adeniji Abdul-Rafiu of the NLC, TUC, Joint National Public Service Negotiating Council (JNPSNC), Nigeria Union of Local Government Employees (NULGE) and NANNM, respectively, the state chairman of Joint Negotiating Council, Abiodun Olakanmi, remarked that the understanding would further foster cordial working relationship between labour and the state government.

Meanwhile, the state governor expressed his disappointment with what he called “political dimension” to the strike, promising to honour the agreement the state reached with the labour leaders.

The governor, however, failed to make a categorical statement when asked about possible reinstatement of the sacked 16 labour leaders saying “ the strike and the other issue are two different things. That is why I am infuriated and still do, but we will see what we can do.”
The state labour leaders later converged on Labour House where the NLC national president called off the strike.