Paul Obi in Abuja
Despite the attack on the United Nations (UN) humanitarian convoy, UNICEF said on Saturday that aid to the Boko Haram-ravaged North-East and Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) will continue.
In a statement, the organisation said efforts are in top gear to ensure that humanitarian services continue notwithstanding the recent attack on UN officials.
UNICEF Country Representative, Jean Gough, said: “UNICEF continues to provide assistance to millions of conflict-affected children in north-eastern Nigeria despite the attack on a humanitarian convoy.
As a result of the attack in which one UNICEF staff member was injured, travel by UN staff to high risk areas has been temporarily suspended.
“We are working at full strength in the Borno state capital, Maiduguri,” Gough stressed.
“We continue to call for increased efforts to reach people in desperate need across the state. We cannot let this heartless attack divert any of us from reaching the more than two million people who are in dire need of immediate humanitarian assistance.
“Despite the temporary suspension of travel to high risk areas, UNICEF plans to scale up its response in Borno state substantially. At the beginning of the year, UNICEF appealed for US$55 million for its emergency work, of which US$23 million has so far been received
“UNICEF has called on donors and humanitarian organizations to scale up the response to the emerging disaster in Borno state, which is the most affected by the conflict with Boko Haram,” she added.
Further details later