Kainji, Jebba Shiroro Dams Underutilized Says Niger Government.

Kainji, Jebba Shiroro Dams Underutilized Says Niger Government.

Laleye Dipo in Minna

The Niger state Government has said that the three major Hydro Electric Dams in the state -Kainji, Jebba and Shiroro are being under utilized as only 30% of the dams installed capacities are being used for power generation leaving the remaining 70% fallow.

Niger state Deputy Governor Comrade Yakubu Garba made this known in Minna on Tuesday when he received on behalf of Governor Mohammed Umaru Bago the Minister of Water Resources and Sanitation Professor Joseph Utsev at government house.

Comrade Yakubu Garba said despite the huge potentials of the dams the state still faces problems of adequate water supply for domestic and irrigation purposes adding that the state is also facing challenges with it’s water works before  calling on the federal government to assist  it to overcome the problems.

Earlier the Minister had called on state governments  in the country to provide  land to the 12 river basins in the country  for irrigation farming for the President Bola Ahmed Tinubu policy on sustainable farming to be achieved.

“As part of the Renewed Hope Agenda of President Bola Ahmed, all hands must be on deck to ensure maximum food security in the country, therefore, it is not going to be business as usual ”

He called on state governments to also venture into creation of irrigation facilities and encourage people of their states to key into irrigation farming to boost food production in the country.

According to him, we are not relenting to see that the emergency placed on food production is achieved in line with the presidents Renewed Hope Agenda.

He pledged more collaboration with the Niger state government saying that UNRBDA has a dam capable of supplying water to Agaie and Lapai towns and dams in Gbako and Egbea Gaba for irrigation and water supply to the people and will therefore need the collaboration of the state government.

The Minister disclosed that  he had  given  targets to the Managing Directors of the River Basin  Development Authorities to key into the Renewed Hope Agenda Agenda by engaging in wet and dry season farming to improve food production.

During the visit to the state the Minister inaugurated  the 879 metres Rafin-Yashin road and Rafin-Yashin irrigation scheme as well as the concrete reservoir that will  supply water to Rafin-Yashin irrigation scheme and Songhai farm.

Related Articles