The Nigerian Army will today address the press in Maiduguri on the confusing reports from Baga, a fishing town north of Borno.
The press conference will take place at the headquarters of Theatre Command of Operation Lafiya Dole, according to a notice sent to correspondents.
While some reports said the town had been overrun by Boko Haram insurgents, the military said the attackers had been repelled and reported the loss of a naval personnel.
According to a statement by army spokesman Brig. General Sani Kukasheka Usman, the insurgents on Wednesday 26th December 2018 attacked the 7 Brigade of the Multinational Joint Task Force (MNJTF), based in Baga, Borno State, at about 7.00pm.
“The troops along with their Nigerian Navy counterparts put up a very determined fight to repel the attack throughout the night, while Sector 3 Operation LAFIYA DOLE sent in reinforcement who are in hot pursuit of the terrorists. (NAN)