Masquerader Stabs Man To Death

By James Sowole in Akure 

The police in Ondo State yesterday paraded a masquerader in connection with the killing of a 30-year old man, Femi Makanjuola, who just got a job with a private company.


Makanjuola was allegedly stabbed to death during celebration of traditional festival at Olomoyeye Street, Oke-Aro, Akure.

He  had gone to buy some food items before he was accosted by the masquerade who demanded some money from him.

An eye-witness confirmed that the deceased had just secured a job with Dangote Cement Company.


The eye-witness stated that the masquerader and his accomplice stabbed Makanjuola to death after he was said to have refused to yield to the demand of the masquerader. 

Parading the suspect at the state headquarters of the Nigeria Police, the Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), Mr. Femi Joseph, said the chief priest of the masquerade crew had been arrested.

The PPRO explained that preliminary investigation into the matter had already commenced with the suspect already assisting the police with relevant information. 

“All over the world what we know  masquerade dance is to entertain the people. What happened in Akure was to the contrary. 

“Five young boys were on an outing with one of them acting as a masqurader, and they got to where one Femi Makanjuola was. “The masqueraders demanded money which the deceased refused to give and this did not go down well with them. 

“The argument led to the stabbing of the deceased after he had been thoroughly beaten by the masqueraders and his followers.

“Investigation is ongoing towards apprehending other accomplices involved in the crime. 

However, the suspected masquerader who has been identified as Olu Olowokere denied involvement in the killing of Makanjuola.

He stated that the dastardly act was carried out by one of his followers after the traditional outing of the masqueraders in the town.

“I am not the one. It is one of the two masqueraders that accompanied me that committed the crime.

“They went back to town after the outing which I didn’t authorise.  It was when police came to my house that I realised what the boys had done. They are currently on the run,” he explained.

Related Articles