Agric Varsity Shuts Down in Makurdi Over Death of Students


    George Okoh In Makurdi

    The Federal University of Agriculture, Makurdi (FUAM) Wednesday was shut down after a bus reportedly crushed some students of the institution to death.

    According to a source, the incidence occurred at the north core section of the institution close to the School of Agronomy at about 7:30am on when a bus conveying some passengers had a tyre burst and rammed into a motorcycle carrying two persons.

    The two students who were riding on the motorcycle were said to have died on the spot while others who were in the vehicle also sustained varying degree of injury.

    Sources said the deceased students had gone to write a test but had left their Identity cards at home. They were said to be rushing back home to get the identity cards after the lecturer in charge asked them to produce it before they could be allowed to write the test.

    It was in the process of going back home that they met their deaths.

    The development was said to have sparked off crisis as aggrieved students, burnt down the bus and then protested to the University where they allegedly vandalised some property.

    Unconfirmed reports also had it that two more students also died from the accident after they were taken to the hospital bringing the number of deaths to four.

    As a result of the incident, the management of the institution had to immediately close down the school until further notice apparently to forestall more crisis on campus.

    In a statement signed by the Registrar and Secretary to Senate and Council, Mrs. Helen Nyitse, said the Vice Chancellor, Prof. Richard Kimbir, on behalf of Senate had approved that the students should proceed on mid -semester break with immediate effect.

    “By this notice, all students are expected to handover all university property in their possession and vacate the campus before 2: pm yesterday Wednesday 15 August, 2018 until further notice,” the statement read in part.