John Shiklam in Kaduna
In spite of the indefinite strike by school teachers in Kaduna State, the state government said its decision on sacked teachers was irreversible.
The NUT last Monday commenced an indefinite strike against the sacking of 21,870 of their members said to have failed a controversial competency test last year
Addressing a news conference on Tuesday in Kaduna, a permanent member of the State Universal Basic Education Board (SUBEB), Alhaji Shehu Sani Othman, said no amount of strike will derail the ongoing reforms in the education sector in the state.
He said the government was opened to engagement with the NUT, stressing however that the issue of the sacked teachers cannot be reversed.
Othman alleged that teachers who complied with government directive in some schools across the state were chased out by NUT officials while pupils were sent home.
“Teachers willing to work, reported to school but the unions were going round dispersing them.
“In fact, the NUT officials has gone as fas closing down Local Government Education Authority offices in some local government areas.
“SUBEB has directed education secretaries to open attendance register in all schools. Action would be taken against any teacher who fails to report to work.
“Government is not opposed to any engagement with the NUT but it cannot its decision on sacked teachers.
“The education sector should not be politicised, what we are doing is justified,” Othman said.
Othman called on teachers in the state to disregard the strike in their own interest action.
He said among steps taken to repositioned the education sector was the competency test organised by the state government to determined the effectiveness of teachers in which 21,780 failed and were disengaged.
According to him, NUT’s main agitation was to allow the affected teachers, who have no business in our schools having failed the competency test to continue to teach.
“The state government will not accept NUT’s use of force to drive away teachers in their lawful duty post.
“This is very disturbing because it is against civil service rule to stop government official from discharging his/her official duty.
“We are therefore, informing union leaders and earring teachers that government will take appropriate action in accordance with the provision of the civil service rule.”
However, in his reaction, the state chairman of the NUT, Audu Amba, described the allegations as a cheap propaganda aimed at blackmailing the union.
He said no teacher was being harassed by NUT officials.
Meanwhile, the Executive Chairman, Kaduna SUBEB, Mallam Nasiru Umar, has called on parents to send their children to school to commence academic activities for the second term .
Umar disclosed that the list of successful candidates who sat for the aptitude test for the recruitment of 25,000 primary school researchers would soon be released.
He said: “The scripts of the over 40,000 applicants who sat for the examination has been marked and data entry is ongoing. The date for the oral interview will be announced as soon as the result is ready explained.”