Police Arrest Suspect for Robbery, Rape


By Chiemelie Ezeobi

Policemen attached to the Isheri-Osun division in Lagos at the weekend arrested a member of a notorious robbery gang, after they invaded a building at the Ijedodo area of the state.

Although three of the four-man gang escaped, one  Joseph Nwadinobi, ran out of luck, was caught and handed over to the police.

According to an eyewitness account, the gang also raped a female victim in the building and abandoned the breadwinner, simply identified as Morris, in a pool of his blood to die.

They also carted away the victims phones, cash, household appliances as well as food stuff.

To access the said compound, the gang was said to have scaled the fence of the bungalow and entered the sitting room through the kitchen, before spending close to three hours in the victims apartment.

The gang was also said to have forced Moris’s door open and immediately attacked him with a rod and a pestle until he passed out.

Not done, they tied the victim’s hands and legs with strings and locked up his wife, two children and his maid in another room.

The leader of the gang was said to have taken Morris’ sister-in-law to the toilet where she was raped repeatedly before they locked her up again.

Thereafter, they went to the fridge where they entertained themselves with some bottles of wine and soft drinks before they left the compound.

Luck however ran against them after one of them, who was accosted by members of the vigilante group in the area was apprehended.

The 24-year-old suspect, who claimed to be a trader at Alaba international market, along Mile-Two Badagry Expressway, said he got only N2000 from the loot.

He said: “I had a shop at Ikotun which was burgled. It was in my quest to raise money that I travelled to Ghana but returned last November and started assisting shop owners at Alaba international market.

“My job was to refer customers to them, but I also  stole packets of chargers from shops, which I sold for N7,000 as against the cost price of N12,000.

“Tuesday last week, I was caught by members of the taskforce at Fancy and Furniture for stealing a cartoon of charger.

“After I had received some beatings, a friend, Ikenna, called me aside and said that I should stop stealing in the market. He invited me to join me for an operation at Ijegun.

“We got to Ijegun at about 9p.m. that fateful day and stayed in an uncompleted building until 2a.m. We entered our target’s house because it was the most beautiful among those we saw.

“My duty was to stand at the gate while others went inside to operate. At the end of the operation, I was given N2000.

“On our way out, Ikenna gave me his bag which contained his loot, to carry. But as we were going, Ikenna and I were behind while Emma and the fourth man were in front.

“We were approached by some vigilante members who asked me to show them what was in my bag. Immediately, Ikenna and the rest took to their heels.

“I regret my action and I am begging the police to release me. I am ready to sign an undertaking to be killed if I am caught stealing again.”

Also, the victim Moris, said the suspects were assassins hired to kill him, adding that the police should carry out a discreet investigation with a view to ascertaining who sent them.

The suspect has since been transferred to the Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS), for further investigation, aimed at arresting other fleeing members of the gang.