AUSTRIALIA OPEN: Injured Murray Suvives Rublev


.Dan Evans stuns Marin Cilic

Andy Murray reached the third round of the Australian Open courtesy of a 6-3 6-0 6-2 win over Andrey Rublev, but not without suffering a big injury scare.
World number one and number one seed Murray cruised through the first set before then inflicting a bagel on the young Russian.

But in the second game of the third set, Murray went down in pain, clutching his right ankle.
The Scot called for a trainer and appeared to quickly overcome the injury after having treatment, but he looked concerned when it happened, with wife Kim also looking on nervously.
The British number one chose not to request any medication from the tournament physio but soon after told his box, “my foot is killing me”.

“It’s a little sore, but not too serious,” he said. “I definitely rolled it a little but I’ll put some ice on it and I could move okay towards the end so that was positive.

“I can put weight on it, it’s just a bit sore, so hopefully it will be fine.”
Murray plays American Sam Querrey in the third round in Melbourne.
“It’ll be a tough one,” Murray added. “He has a big game – big serve and takes lots of chance with his forehand, so it’ll be a tricky one.

“Obviously he beat Novak at Wimbledon last year so I’ll have to be on my game to get the win.”
Meanwhile,Britain’s Dan Evans stunned seventh seed Marin Cilic at the Australian Open as compatriot Andy Murray also progressed to the third round.

Evans earlier fought back to win 3-6 7-5 6-3 6-3 and cause a major upset against former US Open champion Cilic.

It is the second time the 26-year-old British number three has beaten a player ranked in the world’s top 10.

Murray will face American world number 32 Sam Querrey in the third round, while Evans will take on Australian 27th seed Bernard Tomic.
Birmingham’s Evans had earlier required the third of three match points to finish off the seventh seed on his own serve.

“To come through in the last match point was pleasing for me,” he said.
“I struggled with the shade on the court and his pace on the ball was coming through pretty quick, but when the sun went down I got into the match.”

It is the fourth time Evans has progressed to the last 32 of a Grand Slam – he reached the third round of the US Open in 2013 and 2016, and at Wimbledon in 2016.

He struggled with an eye problem early in Wednesday’s match and lost his composure as Cilic breezed through the first set in 31 minutes.

However, the Briton grew more confident, frustrating the 2014 US Open champion and forcing him to make a slew of errors.
The final two sets were a tussle, with service breaks from both players, but Evans held his nerve to win.