Family Seeks Help for Burial of John Ene Okon

0
By Bassey Inyang in Calabar
The family of the Late John Ene Okon, former Super Eagles midfielder is seeking financial assistance to settle hospital and sundry bills at the University of Calabar Teaching Hospital so they can bury the deceased who died March this year.
At the moment, Okon’s remains is still lying at the Hospital’s morgue where it was deposited when he died.
His last duty post was UniCem Rovers FC of Calabar where he was chief coach.
His daughter, Ruth Okon Ene, who spoke on the development said the family is in a fix as they are afraid that her father’s remains will spend more days in the mortuary than expected before he is interred.
She lamented that her father’s remains, now at the UCTH morgue had been abandoned by the state government, the club and his employers, Lafarge.
Ruth said that the hospital had notified the family that the initial one-month deposit for mortuary services had expired.
Ruth said that the hospital had normally demanded for additional fees for services even as the family is struggling to secure a casket, a grave and related funeral challenges in Calabar.
She said that the club’s management had pointedly informed the family that their policy did not include burial expenditure for the deceased.
Ruth appealed to the State Governor, Professor Ben Ayade, the Nigeria Football Federation, soccer buffs, stakeholders and public spirited individuals to come to the family’s aid in its time of need.
Ruth said the family desired a befitting burial for Ene Okon who in his lifetime played for Acada United FC of Unical, Rovers of Calabar, BCC Lions of Gboko, Akwa United of Uyo and the Flying Eagles.
Chairman of the Cross River Sports Commission, Mr. Orok Duke, the employer of the deceased, said the commission was aware of the challenges.
He said Ene Okon’s family deserved support in its period of grief over the demise of its bread winner.
He said he had intimated the state government and the club owners of Ene Okon’s death..
Duke also assured that the state government would not abandon the family in the burial of ther former Nigerian star which was earlier slated for April 22 but shifted to April 29