- Tribunal to add more charges
The federal government monday stated that it had not withdrawn the charges filed against a former Minister of Niger Delta Affairs, Mr. Godsday Peter Orubebe at the Code of Conduct Tribunal (CCT).
In a statement signed by the Head, Press and Public Relations, CCT, Ibraheem Al-hassan, the government said it was compelled to refute some publications where it was alleged that the case was withdrawn because it was fundamentally defective.
The statement said: “Pursuant to the above, CCT advises that, to the best of our knowledge based on available records, as at the time of this report, the information is misleading, distortive and as such, it should be ignored.
“The case of Orubebe before CCT in Charge No: CCT/ABJ/02/15 is on-going. What transpired in court in the last session held on March 8, 2016 was a substitution of the initial charge with a newly filed charge by the prosecution, of which leave was sought from, and granted by the tribunal. The case had been adjourned to April 7, 2016. Thus,there is no withdrawal of the case by the prosecution,” it stated.
Investigation by THISDAY revealed that the CCT would before on April 7 add more charges to the existing charge preferred against the former minister.