As the deadline for the expiration of the time given by the Nigeria Police Force for all motorists using tinted glass vehicles to re-validate their permit draws to a close this weeknd, the Guild of Motoring Correspondents (GMC) has called on the Police to extend the time. The deadline is Friday, March 18.
According to the Chairman of GMC, Mr. Frank Kintum, “though the re-validation is a welcome idea, the time frame given for motorists to re-validate is too short, being less than three months”.
He observed that there was no enough publicity to motorists by the Police as many motorists using tinted glass vehicles are still largely unaware that there is a directive to that effect from the Police.
Kintum added “as far as I know, there is only one biometric capturing centre in the whole of Lagos and so much queue and motorists can only be attended to on Mondays, Thursdays and Fridays”.
He said “I expected to Police to have relied on the data already obtained by the Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC), because FRSC gets all this data when you apply for a driver’s licence.
So why subject motorists to another round of bureaucracy? I remember the Presidency asking security agencies to harmonise the collection of data, so why did the Police refuse to heed the advice?
“My worry is that immediately after this deadline, many motorists may be subjected to harassment, intimidation and extortion from some unscrupulous law enforcement agents who would capitalize on the situation,” he said.
He advised that the Police should extend the timing for another six months at least, and liaise with the FRSC for the collection of relevant data, as well as publicise the exercise as much as possible.
The new permit covers only factory fitted tinted glasses.
According to the Police, to obtain a new permit, take the following steps
1. Log on to http://npf.gov.ng/tinted/
2. Fill the Application form online. It will automatically generate a unique ID nos for you
3.Complete the Application Process by Login in with email provided and the Application ID shown below.
3. Complete the Bio-Data form when logged-in and provide the details of the Vehicle you want to obtain a Tinted Permit for.
4.You will need to upload scanned copied of your vehicle licence, and your proof of ownership which must not be more than 100 kilobytes each in jpeg or bmap format.
5. Details to fill on the online form include plate number, engine number, chasis number and the insurance certificate number
6. Make sure you obtain insurance certificate from a company registered with Federal Road safety Corp (FRSC) , otherwise it will not be acceptable
7. Take the Print-out to any Police Command, to capture your biometrics and collection of your Tinted Permit Certificate.
8. You need a NIN (National Identity number) to complete the application form. You can go to the nearest NIMC office for your National identity number. Registration is easy and takes less than an hour.
9. Registration for NIN and tinted glass permit is free. It comes with a bar-code and your photograph.