By Tobi Soniyi in Abuja
A Federal High Court in Abuja will on March 9 rule on the no-case submission filed by the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) Publicity Secretary, Olisah Metuh, to get the court to dismiss the charges filed against him by the federal government.
The court also dismissed Metuh’s application to enforce his fundamental rights.
Metuh and his company, Destra Investment Limited, are standing trial for allegedly receiving N400 million, part of the money meant for the procurement of arms, from the Office of the National Security Adviser (ONSA) in November 2014.
He had pleaded not guilty to the seven-count charge.
After calling eight witnesses, the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) closed its case against Metuh.
The anti-graft agency had earlier told the court that it had18 witnesses but after 8 witness testified, the commission told the court that it was closing its case.
After the EFCC closed its case, Metuh raised a no-case submission, praying for an order to discharge and acquit him.
In the application dated and filed on February 18 , Onyebuchi Ikpeazu (SAN), Metuh’s counsel, said based on what was presented during the trial, his client has no case to answer.
He also told the court to discharge and acquit the defendant.
The prosecutor, Sylvanus Tahir, while adopting his argument said both oral and documentary evidence had been presented before the court.
Tahir insisted that the prosecution had led credible evidence through its eight witnesses and documents tendered before the court to warrant the court to direct the defendants to “give their own side of the story.”
He urged the court to rule in his favour by allowing the defendant to open his defence.
Justice Okon Abang adjourned the matter till March 9 for ruling and said if the no-case submission application succeeds, the matter would be struck out.
In the event that it’s overruled, the court will order the accused person to lead evidence to rebut the prosecutor’s case.
The judge said he would hear the case on day to day basis.
Earlier, the court had dismissed the application of fundamental human rights filed by Metuh.
In the application filed before he was arraigned, he had requested the court to declare his arrest and subsequent detention by the EFCC illegal.