US, UK Governments Knew Whereabouts of Kidnapped Chibok Girls

12
17514

By Zacheaus Somorin with agency reports

Almost two years after more than 200 girls were kidnapped from their secondary school in Chibok, Borno State, by the Boko Haram terror sect, it has been revealed that the surveillance carried out by the United States of America and the United Kingdom spotted around 80 of the abducted schoolgirls, but the governments of both countries did nothing about it as a rescue attempt was considered too “high risk”.

According to the British-based Sunday Times newspaper, videos accounts also have emerged showing that the girls were brutally raped regularly.
The terrorists stormed a secondary boarding school in the remote town of Chibok on April 14 2014 and seized 276 girls who were preparing for end-of-year exams.
Although 57 of the girls managed to escape, the rest have remained missing and have not been heard from or seen since, apart from in May that year, when 130 of them appeared in a Boko Haram video wearing hijabs and reciting the Koran.

Dr. Andrew Pocock, former British High Commissioner to Nigeria, has now revealed that a large group of the missing girls were spotted by British and American surveillance officials shortly after their disappearance, but experts felt nothing could be done.
He told The Sunday Times that Western governments felt “powerless” to help as any rescue attempt would have been too high risk – with Boko Haram terrorists using the girls as human shields.
Pocock said: “A couple of months after the kidnapping, fly-bys and an American eye in the sky spotted a group of up to 80 girls in a particular spot in the Sambisa forest, around a very large tree, called locally the Tree of Life, along with evidence of vehicular movement and a large encampment.”

He said the girls were there for at least four weeks but authorities were “powerless” to intervene – adding that the Nigerian government did not ask for help anyway.
He said: “A land-based attack would have been seen coming miles away and the girls killed, an air-based rescue, such as flying in helicopters or Hercules, would have required large numbers and meant a significant risk to the rescuers and even more so to the girls.”
He added: “You might have rescued a few but many would have been killed. My personal fear was always about the girls not in that encampment — 80 were there, but 250 were taken, so the bulk were not there. What would have happened to them? You were damned if you do and damned if you don’t.”
In an investigation for The Sunday Times Magazine, Pocock said the information was passed to the Nigerian authorities but they made no request for help.
The magazine has also seen brutal rape videos which showed the schoolgirls were used as sex slaves by the terrorists.

“They film schoolgirls being raped over and over again until their scream become silent,” reported the magazine.
Some of the girls who managed to escape said they were kept in “women’s prisons” where they were taught about Islam. Boko Haram fighters would visit and pick their wives. The girls were powerless to resist as even then the men would be heavily armed.
They were shown videos of people being raped, tortured and killed as a threat of what would happen to them if they tried to run away.

Dr. Stephen Davis, a former canon at Coventy Cathedral, who spent several years attempting to negotiate with the terror group, said Boko Haram “make Isis look like playtime” and said it is “beyond belief” that the authorities both in Nigeria and the West do not know where the schoolgirls are.
He insisted that the locations of the camps where the girls are being kept are well known and can even be seen on Google maps.
He added: “How many girls have to be raped and abducted before the West will do anything?”

Boko Haram leader, Abubakar Shekau previously claimed that all the girls, some of whom were Christian, had converted to Islam and been “married off”. The mass abduction brought the brutality of the Islamist insurgency to worldwide attention and prompted the viral social media campaign #BringBackOurGirls.
Boko Haram violence has left at least 17,000 dead and forced more than 2.6 million from their homes since 2009. The Global Terrorism Index ranks the group as the word’s deadliest terror organisation.

The group, now officially allied to the Islamic State fighters who control swathes of Iraq and Syria, has responded with suicide bombings and hit and run attacks against civilians.
In recent months, the insurgents have turned away from direct confrontation with the military in favour of suicide attacks, which are increasingly carried out by women and girls – raising fears that they are kidnap victims.
Less than a week ago, two female suicide bombers killed at least 24 worshippers and wounded 18 in a dawn attack during prayers at a mosque on the outskirts of Maiduguri.
One bomber detonated the bombs up inside the mosque and the second waited outside to detonate as survivors tried to escape, said coordinator Abba Aji of the civilian self-defense Vigilante Group.

The mosque is on the outskirts of Maiduguri, the city that is the military command center of the war against Boko Haram. Several suicide bombers have exploded recently at roadblocks leading into the city, preventing attackers from reaching crowded areas.

  • amador kester

    Even with a general topographic map of the suspected locality it could have been easier to lacate the coordinates of selected points by triangulation etc..But one thing to locate another to rescue. You must rescue to save these girls lives and that might not have been possible. A very sordid affair all in all to toy with the lives and careers of these young girls but endemic corruption precipitated nigeria into a magic circle from which its trying to extricate.

  • Jon West

    The Chibok parents did this to their daughters. Putting them in harms way by allowing them to be in that school against the advice of the Ministry of Education and the Federal Government. Why did the Borno State Government pay each parent 1 Million Naira after the incident, and why was the Principal and her own daughter absent that night? Why is the Principal now a very high member of the Borno State Government?
    You have to feel sorry for these people of Chibok and other ethnic minorities in the North , like the Tivs, Idomas, Beroms, Angas, etc., who are always available to do the dirty work of their Moslem Hausa/Fulani/Kanuri traducers. Poor little girls and lost souls, cursed to be born to an imbecile group. Why did your fathers not offer even a token resistance, like putting spikes on the road to delay the trucks? Sorry girls, really sorry for your plight, but life sucks!!

  • gerrad

    you guys should stop these cook and bull story, and say something reasonable.

  • gerrad

    chibok story is a fallacy and fraud, it was used to enthroned these bokoharam leader in Nigeria.

  • Fidel98

    Whoever that is behind this story should shut his mouth and own this story to himself. He should go and accuse the west for not doing anything because then The former president asked them for help they blatantly refused so for anybody to insinuate that the government then did not ask for help is an incorrect one.

  • The Light

    Why should this news be brought to the public domain now? I thought the girls were found yesterday and that there is hope of their rescue. It is very unfortunate that the far North (both Muslims and some Christians) thought that they were fighting against Jonathan and now they are facing the consequences of their illicit actions. You cannot eat your cake and have it back. I pity the poor girls who are suffering untold hardship in the hands of the satanic sect members. May God watch over them with His tender mercies.

  • gerrad

    the issue remains that there’s nothing like Chibok girls…… it was just a cook and gnashed story which was used to throw Jonathan out. also the western world was involved with the game play. so case close

    • MY

      Really? Tell that to those Chibok girls’ parents who wee most likely Jonathan supporters until the abduction.

  • MY

    Incredible! So they decided to hide behind the hashtag #BringBackOurGirls instead.

  • ubong

    Please nigerians should not accept this imperial lies. Thousand of innocent nigerians held captives by these delusional animals, that had never been talked about had been rescued, yet no single so called “CHIBOK GIRLS” is among them. I had earlier said that BBOG sit tight protest disappeared as soon as the political coup was sucessfully executed by the shrewd and smart politically intelligent Northerners. These alledged girls saw by UK and US could as well be these innocent nigerians that were abducted withoiut nigerans government saying anything about them than looting the national wealth.

    • You are talking rubbish Mr. Ubong. Everything is a Northern and Southern thing to those simple and unintelligent Nigerians like you. Just re-read what you wrote in your piece as insulting and very stupid.

  • There is a British cliché that says when you are deemed as stupid when you are accused of “simplicity” and there are too many stupid Nigerians that thinks too simple. As I read the posting below I am ashamed to be a Nigerian.