The thrill, excitement and culinary satisfaction of dinning by the seaside has been described as awesome. From dinning in huts over water in Thailand to light-decked cruise liners moored on the beach of Ibiza, the rising demand for more upscale dining experience is on the upward swing. OMOLOLA ITAYEMI writes
1)It’s a shift from the norm and offers a more risqué environment from the humdrum regular restaurants. Away from the regularity of posh hangouts or local bukaterias, it’s the ultimate recipe for more adventurous eating without necessarily indulging in the activity. If you love surfing or quad-biking on water and don’t have the nerves to do it, you can watch surfers and quad bikers whilst dining at Radisson Blu seaside restaurant.
2) It’s a healthier environment. Our reliance on cool air from air-conditioned vents due to hot and stifling weather is fast becoming an albatross. Dining by the seaside offers the best opportunity to clear out your lungs and breathe clean air, so jump at it. And in these days of global warming and the world going ‘green’, this is more than an added advantage.
3) It offers a relaxing ambience that soothes the mind. Meditation takes different forms, gazing whilst waiting for your meal can be very soothing.
4) It’s the best opportunity to see and appreciate the attractive and beautiful view of the ocean whether in its still or bustling state.
5) Their culinary mastery is not cast in stone. Seaside restaurants like Sailors in Lekki Phase 1 have a traditional bukteria (Lasgidi Buka) that offers traditional Nigerian cuisine at affordable rates with indigenous African-inspired interiors.
6) The great opportunity that comes with dining by the seaside is that you also get to go on a cruise ride, even if it’s mentally.
7) Fired up by the love of food, their line of palate-teasing dishes brings to bear an impressive wealth of their gourmet knowledge.
8) It provides the best opportunity to house-watch. Most impressive sea-side restaurants are located in up-scale areas. Civic Centre’s seaside restaurant offers another view of the exclusive Queens Drive of Ikoyi, Lagos. Sailors restaurant offers a view of Banana Island, Ikoyi.
9) Enjoy/appreciate nature at close range
10) If nothing, it offers a me-time, so Enjoy!