Huge protests in Bahrain as anger over Bahrain F1 race grows
Protesters have clashed with security forces in Bahrain as tens of thousands of people gathered to call for this weekend's Formula One race to be abandoned.
Masked youths hurled petrol bombs at police who had stopped them marching to the site of the Pearl roundabout, which was the gathering point for many of last year's pro-democracy protests, reports Sky News.
"They are trying to go to Pearl Square, police are firing tear gas and sound bombs. I can see hundreds, they are still fighting," said activist Sayed Yousif al-Muhafda by telephone.
Elsewhere, the majority of protesters had gathered on a main road outside the capital waving flags and chanting slogans against the kingdom's rulers and criticising the decision to go ahead with the race.
However, Bahrain's Crown Prince Salman bin Hamad Al Khalifa said cancelling it would play into the hands of "extremists".
Al Khalifa said: "For those of us trying to navigate a way out of this political problem, having the race allows us to build bridges across communities, to get people working together.
"It is an idea that is positive, not one that is divisive."
Formula One boss, Bernie Ecclestone said that the race actually gave protesters a platform to voice their political concerns.
He said: "I don't want to be rude at all, but I think the Prince has been a little bit silly putting the race on because he's given the protesters the incredible platform for all you guys to talk to them.
"They talk about democracy, which is freedom of speech - they say - they've had all the freedom in the world to talk to you guys."
Security was stepped up around the Bahrain International Circuit (BIC) as Formula One drivers held their first practice sessions for the event.
One race team - Force India - withdrew from the afternoon runs due to "safety concerns".
The team were caught up in a petrol bomb attack on Thursday, resulting in some team members flying home.
Meanwhile, Swiss Formula 1 team Sauber said they had encountered a group of "masked men" while travelling home to their hotel in Bahrain.
"The minibus moved to the very right side of the highway and went passed the situation," a statement from the team said.
Activists have threatened to mark this weekend's showpiece - culminating in the race on Sunday - with "days of rage".
The event was cancelled last year after a wave of anti-government protests by the island's Shi'ite majority and punishing crackdowns by the Sunni rulers.
Labour leader, Ed Miliband said this year's race should be pulled before Sunday and called on the Government to act.
"Given the human rights issues in Bahrain, I don't think the Grand Prix should go ahead. I do not think the Government should remain silent on this," he said.
However, a spokeswoman for Prime Minister David Cameron said it was not for the Government to intervene in the matter.