By Mohammed Aminu
About three children have lost their lives following a fire disaster, which broke out at Nakasarin Hardo in Sokoto South Local Government Area of Sokoto State.
It was gathered that the inferno occurred Saturday night when the children were already sleeping and the whole building went aflame.
Eyewitnesses explained that neighbours, who rushed to the scene of the incident in order to rescue the children trapped in the building, became helpless as the fire raged wild.
The names of the deceased were Maryam Galadima, 10; Hauwa Galadima, 12; and Bello Galadima, 14.
However, a resident of the area, who pleaded anonymity, said the fire incident was caused by electrical fault.
The father of the deceased children, Mr. Saidu Galadima, who spoke with the journalists in an emotion-laden voice yesterday, said the incident occurred around 11.30 pm Saturday.
He, however, stated that the cause of the incident could not be ascertained, explaining that all efforts to save the lives of the children proved abortive, as they were trapped in the room and subsequently died of suffocation.
According to him, as you are aware, the children died due to suffocation after attempts to rescue them from the building by neighbours and well-wishers failed.
He said officials of the Fire Service were alerted about the incident and they succeeded in putting off the fire.
He described the calamity that befell his family as a trial from God and prayed for the repose of the soul of the deceased.
Meanwhile, the deceased had been buried in accordance with Islamic rites.