Governor Sullivan Chime
By Christopher Isiguzo
Tragedy struck in a sleepy town of Mbu Apochi in Isi-uzo Local Government Area of Enugu State when five members of a family of seven allegedly died after taking a mixture of cassava and corn flour last Tuesday.
THISDAY checks revealed that Mr. Charles Nnadi and his six children had lost consciousness after consuming the said food.
Following their loss of consciousness, some sympathisers had rushed them to the nearby St. Marks Hospital, Eha-Amufu, where three of them, including the father died.
Four of them were later transferred to a trado-medical hospital at Enugu Ezike where two of the children gave up their ghost, while the remaining two are still critically ill.
Some sympathisers described the incident as tragic and have wondered why it must be so just as they are expressing shock over the unfortunate incident.
When contacted, the Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO) in the state, Ebere Amarizu, a Deputy Superintendent of Police, confirmed the incident.
He stated that the command had commenced a full scale investigation into the unfortunate development, with a view to unravelling the mystery and circumstances surrounding the alleged incident which he said may not be unconnected with of food poisoning.