Articles

Libya Sacks Benghazi Security Chiefs after US Attacks

18 Sep 2012

Views: 1,467

Font Size: a / A

180912T.An exterior view of the U.S. consulate which was attacked and set on fire by gunmen.jpg - 180912T.An exterior view of the U.S. consulate which was attacked and set on fire by gunmen.jpg

An exterior view of the U.S. consulate, which was attacked and set on fire by gunmen

REUTERS

Libya has sacked its security chiefs for Benghazi after a deadly attack on the U.S. consulate in the eastern city last week, Interior Minister Fawzi Abdel A'al told Reuters.

Colonel Salahadeen Doghman will replace the deputy interior minister for the east, Wanis Sharif, as well as the head of national security for Benghazi, Hassan Bou Hmida.

"The decision to replace Mr. Sharif and the security chief was made last week," Abdel A'al said.

"We will do what we think is right if there is a weakness within the security leadership that has affected the security work in the city."

The U.S. ambassador to Libya, Christopher Stevens, and three other Americans died when gunmen attacked the consulate and a "safe house" in the eastern city last Tuesday night.

The attackers were part of a crowd that blamed the United States for a video posted online that mocks the Prophet Mohammad.

Tags: News, Africa, Featured, Libya, BENGHAZI, Security Chiefs, US ATTACKS

Comments: 0

Rating: 

 (0)
Add your comment

Please leave your comment below. Your name will appear next to your comment. We'll also keep you updated by email whenever someone else comments on this page. Your comment will appear on this page once it has been approved by a moderator.

Libya Sacks Benghazi Security Chiefs after US Attacks

18 Sep 2012

Views: 1,467

Font Size: a / A

180912T.An exterior view of the U.S. consulate which was attacked and set on fire by gunmen.jpg - 180912T.An exterior view of the U.S. consulate which was attacked and set on fire by gunmen.jpg

An exterior view of the U.S. consulate, which was attacked and set on fire by gunmen

REUTERS

Libya has sacked its security chiefs for Benghazi after a deadly attack on the U.S. consulate in the eastern city last week, Interior Minister Fawzi Abdel A'al told Reuters.

Colonel Salahadeen Doghman will replace the deputy interior minister for the east, Wanis Sharif, as well as the head of national security for Benghazi, Hassan Bou Hmida.

"The decision to replace Mr. Sharif and the security chief was made last week," Abdel A'al said.

"We will do what we think is right if there is a weakness within the security leadership that has affected the security work in the city."

The U.S. ambassador to Libya, Christopher Stevens, and three other Americans died when gunmen attacked the consulate and a "safe house" in the eastern city last Tuesday night.

The attackers were part of a crowd that blamed the United States for a video posted online that mocks the Prophet Mohammad.

Tags: News, Africa, Featured, Libya, BENGHAZI, Security Chiefs, US ATTACKS

Comments: 0

Rating: 

 (0)
Add your comment

Please leave your comment below. Your name will appear next to your comment. We'll also keep you updated by email whenever someone else comments on this page. Your comment will appear on this page once it has been approved by a moderator.

comments powered by Disqus
comments powered by Disqus